Monday, June 16, 2008

MY EARTHLY FATHER...

Yesterday in church, I read a poem I had written as a tribute to my father. I now share this tribute with those who care to read it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this week, Tuesday, June 10 would have been my father's 78th birthday. Unfortunately, (from our perspective) he was taken from us at only 65. It's hard to believe he's been gone for almost 13 years, but I'm so glad for the almost 29 years that I had with him.

My Mom also passed away in 1998, at only 67. We miss her too, and I've got some ideas floating around in my head to honor her as well. Perhaps something will find its way here from those efforts before too long.

"Honour thy father and thy mother..." (Exodus 20:12)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Donnie - the picture and the tribute! He was a great and humble man, just faithfully following the leading of the Lord a day at a time. And, yes, reading the poem did bring tears! I was privileged to have him for a "brother"(in-law). Aunt Mern

skier1998 said...

I didn't realize that among all your other talents... that you are a poet. I really enjoyed reading your poem. You did a great job. For some reason... I have been feeling quite sentimental lately... missing everyone in NY. :)

Esther said...

Hey, if I was one of the 2 faithful readers, I guess I'm falling way behind on my comments. And if I wasn't counted, then WOW!!! you must be up to 5 or more!!!! Probably more readers than I have, I think Aunt Mern is basically my ONLY faithful reader. But of course, I only post every month OR SO also. My life just isn't all that exciting!

Anyway, LOVELY pictures of that beautiful McCallus grandbaby, he's an absolute doll! And again, a really nice tribute to Dad - I love that picture, and your poem is all so true. We were certainly blessed to be born into THAT home!

jeff said...

Just to let you know, just because we don't comment on every post, we do read your blog. I check it everyday. I have a whole bunch of blogs that I "lurk" on daily. Anyway, We enjoy reading when you post.