Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A DIGITAL WORLD!

One of the things that has amazed me in recent years is how digital photography has revolutionized the world of picture-making. I know there are purists out there who believe that anything done digitally is not truly artistic, but I enjoy working with picture post-production. Plus, I can have the light on in my "darkroom."

I took a picture from my niece's recent wedding, and did several things with it. Some time was involved - these are not quick tricks that can automatically be done in Photoshop. However, the results are, if I do say so myself, pretty neat!

First, here is the original picture.



Now, one of the effects that I like is to make the background grayscale, so the subjects in the picture have less distraction from other elements. Here's the result, quite a while later!



Now, you can also do the complete opposite, for an interesting effect. (I don't like this as well for this particular picture, although in some circumstances it's quite nice.)



Or, you can do something completely crazy, like change it from a picture to a silhouette, add some other elements, and make it a keepsake of the special day!



So, what do you think? Should I open my own business to produce wedding mementos?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty clever, I think!! It's amazing how you can alter something that's already done?! Beyond my comprehension, for sure :-) Right now I think I'd have to vote for the orignal...though the silhouette is pretty neat! Love, Aunt Mern

Esther said...

I LOVE the second one, that is SO neat! I think you should definitely take on some wedding photography - you do a better job than lots of photographers I've seen, AND they charge an arm and a leg (or thereabouts!) Did you think anymore of doing a keepsake Dedication certificate for me to give Emily for her Dedication gift? Or are you too busy to do that? I e-mailed you, but I don't think you answered me (maybe that was a hint!)

Leah & Jon said...

Excellent Master. You must teach me! As for the wedding mementos... I hope they don't mind waiting a while! Heh Heh

Anonymous said...

Yes, definitely! You are a pro!
sharon Major