Friday, June 13, 2008

THE FINAL RESULTS!

After another couple of hours out in the sun today, I think I'm finished with the lawn for now. It's amazing how a little bit of concerted effort can really make a HUGE difference - I'm glad I had time (and two days of cooperative weather) to get this done.

Let's take the tour together, shall we?

Here's the approach to our house from the road (County Route 38). Because there was so much plowing to be done this past winter, the lawn on the side of the road still shows some damage. There's more raking to do, but that will be over time. You can see our mailbox, #2327, but the house is not visible from the road when there are leaves on the trees.

It almost looks like someone lives here now!


It's evident when you turn into the driveway that I still have work to do! The bushes grow so fast, and it becomes impossible to go down the driveway without scraping on both sides.


This is the curve that makes plowing the driveway so difficult in the winter time. When turning with a plow, the snow builds up on the inside of the curve, and the back tire of the truck drives over that, packing it into ice quickly. If we have a thaw, it makes it tough to move at all!


Now we're down to the house, so let's look around. First, looking back up the driveway, the lawn to our left looks decent. (This grass doesn't get as thick anyway.)


Then, we gaze to the right of the driveway... (I need to put that gas container away.)


The front yard...


A robin with her lunch, happy that she can now maneuver in our yard...


Now I'm over where the robin was (I scared her off), and I'm looking at the yard from that corner.


Now from the far corner...


And the back yard...


Aren't you glad you got to witness all of this? There's still a bit more hay lying around the yard than I like (I mowed the front again today, so that's three times in two days), but it's fine and evenly spread out. With some breezes and rain, it will rot and turn into fertilizer soon enough anyway.

Now, when we get the INSIDE of the house cleaned up, you can come to visit us!

5 comments:

Esther said...

I'm SOOOOOO happy that you got your lawn all taken care of AND that you shared it step by step with all of us. And even the ants, I think that was pretty cruel, by the way...you could have at least had it in a shroud!! Less trauma for ALL the ants that read your blog!!

Anyway, the lawn looks LOVELY!! You did a LOVELY job and I hope you have a LOVELY day/week/month...enjoying it! Until the rabbits take over again!

Love you, see you tonight at the Svarczkopfs!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Don - lookin' good!! It IS a very beautiful yard, even though it takes a lot of work to keep it that way! You done a great job :-)You'all and Esther enjoy your dinner at your big sister's. Love you both lots...Aunt Mern

blindriverbev said...

What a great into to your dwelling!! I have been working outside too today. I told Shyheim that if I did not my yard would look like the Beverly Hillbilly's.

He helped with the weed eater and we even started working on the neighbors but the mower belt came off the second time and I said, "Enough!"

skier1998 said...

I guess I posted the last comment on the "tour" under the rough cut post. Well, I did enjoy it - none the less.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your lawn with us. I didn't know what it looked like without all the snow!
Sharon