Thursday, October 04, 2007

ON DISCARDED MONEY AND HOMEWORK

Those topics seems quite unrelated, but they've both been on my mind this week. My homework for the course I'm taking is always due on Thursday, and so Thursday afternoons and evenings have become something like a mini-weekend for me. Even if I haven't completed the assignment perfectly, once it's submitted there's a sense of completion.... It's interesting how this deadline structures my week so intently.

Now, about discarded money. On Tuesday afternoon, I picked up a Cingular (now AT&T) rebate debit card that I had received a few months ago (March, I think) for upgrading one line on my mobile account. It was worth $100, and I had set it aside "for something special." Unfortunately, it had EXPIRED in August!! I was horrified....

After several hours of mental distraction, I finally decided to call AT&T, despite knowing it was all my fault for overlooking the expiration date. Their policy is to NOT reissue expired cards, I was told by more than one person; however, I kept getting transferred from person to person, as if they had some sympathy for my plight. I did ask (nicely) to speak to one lady's supervisor, and she put me on hold. After about two minutes, she came back and said her supervisor had approved her to REISSUE the card! What a relief!!

So, I'm asking for feedback (my first 'blog poll) - are you a rebate person? Do you think rebates are loaded to the companies' benefit? I really love rebates, and have had good luck with them, except when I'm STUPID! Let me know...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning..just thought I'd respond to your post. Guess I'd have to say I would probably have let the "discarded money" go and chalked it up to my neglect. But, it just shows that persistence pays - good for you! :-) It was good to see you at the party Sat. Have a good week. Love to both.... PS: do you have the Buick back?

Anonymous said...

Whew, I'm so glad Aunt Mern commented, I was feeling bad for you that you didn't get any responses! So here's mine - I don't really have anything to say about discarded money, but just wanted to be a faithful "commenter"!

Love ya!

skier1998 said...

Well, it doesn't look like your poll is getting much of a response? Glad you got your 100 dollars back. (I can relate somewhat to that feeling with restaurant coupons.) Yes, I like rebates... I think we had ones for our phones and paint. But, it was a rebate check. I really like credit card rewards - gift cards to Starbucks, Applebees, or gas. In fact, now I get points for my debit card (with the mastercard logo). I think it's great that they will reward me for spending my own money. Somebody is "losing" in this picture... and it isn't me!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Enough, already! It's time for another post :-). However, I know you're busy - probably "Pilgrim News" time right now, so don't let me bug you!!! Kind of a dreary day here, but brightening up a little. Still some beautiful foliage. Love you both....