Sunday, October 14, 2007

PASSING TIME

Occasionally, I need to take breaks in my office. The hours can pass very quickly if I'm engaged in something and making progress, but otherwise it can seem like forever between 9:00 (I teach at 8, so I have to be there early) and 2:00 (the next time I teach on MWF). I do have office hours from 9-11, but there are days when people just don't need my help, apparently!

I sometimes take "standup breaks," or even "walk down the hall breaks," just for a change of scenery. The other day, during one such break, I was intrigued by the bright sun passing through the blinds on my window, and I took some pictures.

These pictures were particularly interesting to me when I looked at them later. The first one is a candy jar that I have in my office, and the patterns of light reflection and refraction that showed up in the jar's shadow were really neat (I thought)! The second one is a macro shot (that's a close-up, for you who are not photography buffs) of one candy in the actual jar. The third one is also a macro shot of the stylized "M" logo that Motorola uses on their products, in this case on the Razr cell phone I recently received as a plan upgrade.









How do you get rid of monotony in your workday?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What work day?! :-) Oh,I guess I do have "work days" but not specified hours.. Sometimes I have a "list" for the day and other days I don't - my time is pretty flexible (as it should be in retirement, right?) The pictures are quite interesting -have you ever checked Sam's blog? I guess that's what hers is called?She likes photography, and has some neat pictures. If you catch her name up on IM sometime I think she usually has the site listed... She has a picture called "The little one's shoes" or something like that- cute. Well, have a good week....love to both.

Anonymous said...

Guess I don't have time for monotony during my work day, what with 22 3rd graders constantly needing my attention!! I guess I just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet, during my lunch break and my special break! Not much monotony here!
I enjoy reading your posts. You say such deep and thought-provoking stuff!!
Love you, Rachel

skier1998 said...

Hmmm.... How much do you get paid to sit and take pictures of items on your desk?? ha ha. I enjoyed the pictures - it definitely added a little life to your blog. :-) Color. My work day is quite different now. But, one thing I do is make lists of things that I will/need to do when I am no longer at work. It makes me feel productive even when I am not. If you are desperate enough to take random pix - you should go online & play the game where you sell lemonade - changing the ingredients, price, read the forecast. It is quite intriguing.

Don said...

So, Tara, how much do YOU get paid to organize your life outside of the workday while you're AT work?? HA HA - I couldn't help myself!!

I'm glad my 'blog is livened up a bit. I didn't put a picture of myself up, since I didn't want to scare people off, but I did include the Rubik's cube, since it represents me quite well: easy to work with, tough to figure out completely, etc.

skier1998 said...

Just wanted to share this with you... I thought of you while looking through the FAO Schwarz catalog. A leather and nickel Rubik's cube - $195.

http://www.fao.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=10496&PIPELINE_SESSION_ID=8fab3cebc0a86465014596d579e5466d

Anonymous said...

Hey Don, Time for a new post, don't you think?